Have you chosen the reusable water bottle to reduce or even stop your consumption of disposable bottles? Bravo for this environmentally responsible gesture! However, be careful if you have chosen a plastic model, as it can be potentially hazardous to health.
To limit our polluting waste, many of us choose the reusable water bottle. But according to a Danish study published in Dangerous Substances Magazine, it seems that some of these containers are not safe for health. Indeed, two researchers from the University of Copenhagen, Denmark, have revealed that plastic water bottles would promote the passage of toxins or substances with an endocrine disrupting effect in the water.
“We were surprised by the large amount of chemicals we found in the bottles in the water after 24 hours. There were hundreds of them, including substances never before found in plastic, and some that are potentially harmful to health. †
Jan H. Christensen, co-author of the study, cited by 20 minutes
In total, nearly 400 chemicals can be released into the water we drink. Among those analyzed and which are of particular concern to researchers, we find fungi-release agents, a repellent present in mosquito repellents or photoinitiators (which are nothing but cancer-causing molecules). According to the Danish study, it seems that these substances that are harmful to health are even more numerous if the plastic bottle is put in the dishwasher.
However, scientists do not yet know much about the toxicity of these substances. So for our health, it is better to change the container and choose a glass bottle. In addition, the same advice applies to baby bottles (never microwave, especially if they are made of polypropylene).
To prevent your glass water bottle from becoming a breeding ground for bacteria, we give you some simple and natural tips to clean it effectively.