High school students, students, young working people… We see the emergence of a generation concerned about climate change, looking for meaning at work. To meet this growing demand, schools are springing up all over the country, with ecological transition becoming their priority. That’s good, because according to the Shift Project, decarbonizing the economy would create jobs. We have selected 5 schools spread across France according to their diversity: they prepare for different professions, target different target groups and have in common that they have to take cognizance of the necessary transformation of society.
ETRE (School of Ecological Transition) schools
The Schools of Ecological Transition, supported by the ETRE association, aim to train young people without qualifications for jobs of the future. There are now eight in number on French territory. The aim is to open a training organization in each region within 5 years.
- The curriculum : The ETRE network, which varies from a week to a year, offers tailor-made training based on the needs of the trainees. There are 3 options available: remobilization week for young people who are not studying, pre-qualification training to define their professional project or even qualifying training.
- The curriculum: Each school offers a different education in sectors as diverse as renewable energy, organic agriculture, water trade, mobility, food, sustainable living environment, circular economy or mediation. The pedagogical approach favors an active method, learning by “doing”.
- The graduation ceremony : Two qualifying courses are offered. They prepare respectively for the professional title carpenter and the CAPA Agroecological Horticulture (Lahageschool, 31).
- The points of sale: Remobilization and prequalification training prepares for admission to qualifying training in various sectors. Qualified training prepares you for a career in carpentry and horticulture.
- Admission procedure : To become a member of a BE school, the only conditions are: not employed, in training or on an internship. The preferred age group is 18-25 years. It is not necessary to have a diploma and the diversity of courses is appreciated. You can contact the nearest school via this link.
- Prices : All courses offered are free.
- Profile of students: A maximum of 80 pupils are accepted per school to ensure a personalized follow-up. ETRE schools especially welcome young people in a situation of dropout or reorientation: public in “search for meaning”†
It is a private non-profit higher education institution. Sup’écolidaire is located in Limonest, in the metropolitan area of Lyon.
- The Curriculum : 5 years of post-baccalaureate studies to train students in ecological, solidarity and societal transition. It is composed of a cycle Bac +3 (European Bachelor) and Bac +5 (European Master).
- The Curriculum : Teaching is transversal: fundamental subjects to understand the dynamics of the world (economics, law, geopolitics…) and scientific subjects (natural and social sciences…). The courses combine theory and practice.
- The graduation ceremony : European Masters “Expert in ecological, solidarity and social transition” † It is not recognized by the French state, but is accredited by the FEDE (Federation of Education in Europe).
- The points of sale: Open to a wide choice of professions within local or national associations, NGOs, communities, institutions and responsible companies. It is possible to specialize from the third year of the bachelor in the direction of CSR, education or even regional planning (the list is not exhaustive).
- Admission procedure : Initial training accessible post-baccalaureate for the bachelor or parallel admission depending on the level of study. The current admission session is open until May 22.
- Prices : Between 5,290 and 5,790 euros per year. A reduced rent can be granted to students.
- Profile of students: 180 students admitted for admission to the baccalaureate or to continue their studies.
Farms of the future
Fermes d’Avenir is an association whose mission is to encourage and support agro-ecological agricultural projects throughout the territory. Its Qualiopi-certified training organization trains project leaders with a more or less long education.
- The Curriculum : 4 different courses are offered, ranging from 5 days to 8 months. The 5-day training courses provide tools for project leaders in different areas: “Creating your agro-ecological microfarm”, “Creating your microfarm in Aromatic and Medicinal Fragrant Plants” or even “Creating your autonomy project. The training “Compagnonnage” is in movement: for 8 months you will learn agro-ecological gardening by practicing on different farms in the network of Fermes d’Avenir.
- The Curriculum : The training offered combines theoretical education (eg on the economic viability of a project) and fieldwork (visits to agro-ecological farms or school children, practical work, etc.). The training “Compagnonnage” in agro-ecological horticulture consists of 7 practical months, with guidance from the training farms. For the rest of the action, 3 weeks of collective time are also planned.
- The graduation ceremony : A follow-up certificate is awarded at the end of the training. For the “Compagnonnage” training, this is accompanied by a skills test. It is also possible to follow the “Compagnonnage” program remotely from Naturapole with the BPREA (Professional Certificate in Agricultural Business Manager): this diploma gives you the professional competence in agriculture.
- Opportunities : Establishment in agroecology, employee on an agroecological farm.
- Admission procedure : The 5-day training courses are accessible to everyone on simple registration. There are devices available for people with disabilities. The “Compagnonnage” program requires a cumulative year of agricultural experience (salaried employment, voluntary work, etc.).
- Rate : Between 690 and 1350 euros for 5-day training. The “Compagnonnage” program costs 10,000 euros. Different sources of financing are possible: Pôle emploi, OPCO, CPF, the region, etc.
- Profile of students : Neo-rural, initiators of installation projects, farmers in transition.
The Green Management School
It is a higher education institution of the MediaSchool group. The Green Management School is accessible without geographical restrictions: the training offered is on a work-based basis, with courses taught mainly at a distance. It is possible to join one of the 10 existing campuses: Paris, Reims, Brussels, Strasbourg, Rennes, Angoulême, Toulouse, Montpellier, Marseille or Nice.
- The curriculum : Offers a Bac+4/Bac+5 cycle alternately. The variety is at the rate of 4/5: 4 days in the company, one day at school per week. Teaching is distance learning and two days a month are scheduled face-to-face on campus.
- The curriculum: Education is organized around five axes: empathy, expertise, hindsight, innovation, management and entrepreneurship.
- The graduation ceremony : Title of marketing and communication strategies manager, with a pedagogical vertical “manager of the ecological and solidarity transition”. It is recognized by the French state (RNCP title).
- The points of sale: CSR Manager, Green Entrepreneur, Environmental Lobbyist, Project Manager Sustainable Community Development… The full list can be found here.
- Admission procedure : It is necessary to have a BAC+3 to integrate the school. Admission is per file, with a written production in which the motivation of the candidate is assessed. A meeting with the director is also scheduled.
- Prices : €8,200 per year financed by the company under an apprenticeship contract or a vocational training contract. The price is reduced to €6,920 per year for those who choose to finance the training individually.
- Profile of students : Public in “search for meaning”retraining or further studies.
UniLaSalle Rennes School for Environmental Professions
It is an EESPIG (association institution recognized as being of general interest). The school is located in Rennes. It has been around for 30 years and has already trained a whole generation of engineers specializing in the environment.
- The Curriculum : The school offers 3 courses specifically aimed at transition issues: Engineering Cycle in Environmental Engineering (bac+5 with integrated preparation), Bachelor in Environment and Sustainable Development (3 years of which 2 years in apprenticeship) and Specialized Master in Economics Circular in 1 year (Bac+6).
- The Curriculum : In addition to theoretical lessons, the students carry out practical projects: implementation of the green budget within the Brittany Region, implementation of the ISO 14001 standard in companies, creation of an application to combat wild landfills…
- The graduation ceremony : Depending on the chosen study programme, students obtain a diploma in Environmental Engineering (bac+5), a bachelor’s degree in Environment and Sustainable Development (bac+3) or a specialized master’s degree in Circular Economy (bac+6).
- The points of sale: In the field of environmental engineering, the functions are varied: waste management, water, air, energy balance of buildings, CSR… Holders of the bachelor’s degree Environment and Sustainable Development will be able to work in less scientific sectors. : by, for example, supporting communities and individuals in good environmental practices. Finally, the Master trains project managers in the Circular Economy.
- Admission procedure : For the Engineering Cycle and the Bachelor it is possible to integrate the training via Parcoursup or parallel admission. The master is aimed at a public qualified in professional reorientation: the candidates are selected in the file on the basis of their background and their motivation.
- Prices : Approximately €7,000 per year for the Engineering Cycle and the Bachelor. Funding methods and scholarships are available for each of these two courses. The employer finances the training as part of a sandwich course. The Specialized Master costs about 8000 € per year.
- Profile of students: Public post-baccalaureate degree, in the pursuit of studies or in retraining. For the Specialized Masters, the average age is 33 years.
The list is not exhaustive: we are thinking in particular of the 3A school, HECTAR or the School of Impact that just opened in Paris. The sectors offered by agricultural secondary schools should also be examined: according to the Shift Project, the sectors with the most employment in the context of the Ecological Transition are agriculture (+451,000 jobs) and forestry (+30,000 jobs) .
To go further, consult the cartography of the collective Grandes Écoles de la Transition: this gold mine contains 270 courses.
To initiate the ecological transition, we need all the talents: it is up to you to find your added value!