Chimney fire: 4 warning signs of a house fire

In this winter season when we only dream of one thing, lounging in front of a good fire, it is appropriate to share the safety precautions with you. Because every year the many registered house fires remind everyone that caution is advised.

What precaution?

chimney sweep

Sweeping a chimney or a stove (wood or pellet) is a mandatory practice to ensure the safety and proper functioning of the appliance. This cleaning of the drain pipes must be carried out annually by a certified professional belonging to the Professional Organization Qualification and Classification Construction (OPQCB). His price? Between 30 and 80 euros, depending on the condition of your pipes. Please note: in the event of fire or carbon monoxide poisoning, the insurance will not cover if you have not swept.

To continue, here’s everything you need to know about maintaining your fireplace or stove.

Photo: Shutterstock

What signals should alert you?

The MMA provides a (non-exhaustive) list of warning signs of a residential fire. These aren’t the only ones, but these early warnings should alert you immediately.

Unusual sound

Normally, a fireplace or wood-burning stove makes no noise (other than the crackle of the flames). As a result, abnormal snoring or a sudden noise from the duct should alert you immediately.


Is there an unusual smell coming from your chimney and starting to sting your eyes and scratch your throat? Be careful, too much soot in the air can be a sign that your appliance is not working properly (eg unsuitable fuel). For your safety, learn how to choose the right wood for your fireplace.

heavy smoke

Abundant smoke or small flames suddenly come out of the flue of your fireplace or stove? This alarming sign should alert you immediately as the air intakes or exhaust pipes may be clogged.

falling debris

A fall of debris similar to black or glowing flakes is not comforting. If you notice unusual deposits in your chimney or excessive soot, be extra vigilant.

Photo: Shutterstock

How to respond?

If you have the slightest doubt or if a fire breaks out in your fireplace or stove, contact the fire brigade immediately (call 18 or 112) and leave your accommodation. If you live in an apartment, warn the other residents of the building.

As a precaution, do not attempt to extinguish the fire yourself unless you have a fire extinguisher and the fire is under control. In any case, NEVER throw a bucket of water on the flames or in the flue, as the Ministry of the Interior reminds. And for more information, go here.

Photo: Shutterstock

Did you like this article? Here are 6 things you should never burn in your fireplace or wood stove.

Leave a Comment