Have you just received your last energy bill and do you think the amounts are too high? Gas or electricity, prices have been rising for several months as a result of rising raw material prices that individuals and companies have to bear as best as possible. Add to that the ecological commitment to combat global warming, and you have two good reasons to save energy. Discover our advice to reduce your energy consumption and save up to several hundred euros per year.
Change energy supplier
Since 2007 and the opening of the energy market to competition, it is possible to: change electricity and/or gas supplier at any time, without costs or savings† You only need to conclude an energy contract, your new supplier will take care of terminating your old contract. A simple trick to save on your energy bill!
Change electricity supplier
By changing your electricity contract and subscribing to a new contract with more favorable terms, you can save energy and on your next bills. In 2022 there will be 40 different electricity suppliers in France, or as many choices as possible according to your wishes. For example, you can opt for competitive rates, renowned customer service or a green energy offer out of ecological conviction. But you can quickly get lost among all the offers. That’s why we advise you to use a comparator of electricity suppliers to find the cheapest.
Change gas supplier
As with your electricity contract, it is possible to change gas supplier by concluding a new contract. Engie is the historical supplier, but there are about twenty alternative suppliers which allows you to take advantage of discounts, in particular on the price of kWh. Again, it is essential to compare gas suppliers before making a decision and to learn more about the different energy suppliers.
Optimize your home’s heating
Did you know heating accounts for 60% of a home’s energy consumption according to ADEME? With the production of domestic hot water, it is therefore an important expenditure item for households, on which action can be taken to achieve significant energy savings. Here are some tips to avoid wasting energy on your heating:
- Insulate your house : Most old unrenovated houses are poorly insulated, leading to large heat losses. However, insulating the attic, walls and windows can reduce your energy consumption. As icing on the cake, there are many financial resources that can help you complete this project as part of energy renovation;
- Change heating system : If you heat yourself with oil or electricity, keep in mind that there are more energy-efficient heating methods, such as high-energy performance boilers or wood heating, which is more ecological. They can also let you take advantage of financial aid;
- Control and program your heating † lowering the heating by 1°C saves 7% energy! Better control over your heating is a simple eco gesture, allowing you to maintain optimal comfort. To help you, for example, you can use a room thermostat or thermostatic taps.
Perform simple daily actions to save energy
It is also possible to save energy very quickly, thanks to simple daily operations. Here is a non-exhaustive list:
- Replace old appliances : Old equipment consumes the most energy. Thanks to technological advances, you can now give preference to new devices with a high energy class. The best performing products are class A;
- Wash your clothes cold. According to ADEME, washing clothes at 30°C even costs 3 times less energy than washing at 90°C;
- Turn off unused electrical appliances : By unplugging or installing a standby shutdown system, you can save up to 50% on a device’s electricity consumption;
- turn off the lights when it is daylight or when you are not in the room concerned. You can also opt for low consumption LED bulbs, which consume up to 10 times less electricity than incandescent bulbs;
- Choose the “eco” program for your dishwasher can save you up to 45% electricity.
Now it’s your turn !