Consumption habits have changed as a result of the pandemic. Meal delivery and take-out sales have progressed… as has consumer demand for environmentally responsible restaurateurs obligations. On the occasion of Earth Day, next Friday, April 22, food tech company Deliverect surveyed 7,000 people around the world (France, Europe, United States, Middle East and Australia) and asked them about these hot topics.
Results ? The survey reveals some interesting lessons for establishments that operate takeout and delivery services (but not only). First, almost one in two people (47%) say they would consider changing their menu to make it more environmentally friendly.
Other interesting data:
- 43% of respondents declared that they were ready to pay more for takeout from restaurants with visible sustainability practices.
- Nearly 47% of international consumers (45% of the French) consider the presence of organic ingredients in their diet.
- Nearly six in ten people (59%) want products to be seasonal. This number rises to 69% for French consumers.
Growing demand for real restaurant engagement
But watch out green washing † Consumers, especially in France, are increasingly vigilant about the practices of restaurateurs. Their expectations are many.
- In France, more than 6 in 10 people (66%) would like restaurants to better communicate how they are trying to make takeaway/delivery more environmentally friendly.
- 62% of French men and women believe that restaurants are not transparent enough about their eco-friendly practices.
- 62% of respondents in France are also in favor of the possibility to informed about the most ecological food options for example through an application.
“These results highlight fundamental trends that we have observed for several years that correspond to a real transformation of society.”
Rachid El Kansouli, CEO France Deliverect.
When it comes to food waste and wastage, here too French consumers want a genuine commitment from restaurants:
- 77% of respondents in France believe that takeaways should take precautions to avoid food waste.
- Six out of ten French people prefer to order from restaurants that remove excess packaging when delivering food.
- Nearly 7 in 10 people (69% of respondents in France) think it is important that restaurants offer sustainable packaging.
In conclusion, this research highlights the need for restaurant owners to take environmentally responsible actions and make them visible. At the risk of seeing his clientele disappear.